How Do You Plan To See All the Performers in Only 7 days?

How Do You Plan To See All the Performers in Only 7 days?

Postby Paula » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:37 pm

WOW, with so many performers on board, how do you get to see them all? Do they play more than once? I am now worried I won't get to see all the advertised acts. Please tell me how to plan. Thanks! :P
Paula

Re: How Do You Plan To See All the Performers in Only 7 days

Postby Garlic Dave » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi Paula,
It looks like you have the first confirmed case of FOMS disease (Fear Of Missing Something). Don't worry it is treatable!

First, each act will be scheduled to perform 3 or 4 times during the week. They will play at different times and different venues - so whatever your preferred venue is you will be able to see everyone at least once. Actually, with performances going on simultaneously in 4 locations, deciding who to see can be a dilemma.

Second, about 1-2 weeks before the Cruise the performance schedule will be posted on the LRBC website. This will give you a chance to plan your week if you so choose. Schedules will also be available on the ship. I think most Cruisers just take the week one day at a time and figure they will get to see all the performers. Others, like to plan out their week so as to see their favorites multiple times.
David
Garlic Dave

Postby Paula » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:32 pm

Thank you so much for responding so quickly and I am so relieved to find there was a name to my disease...FOMS disease. :D And, I am glad there is a cure and it is treatable. I feel so much better now that everything is scheduled. But, I am sure I will contract FOMS again before this trip is over! So much to do and see and oh, so little time. To say I am excited is an understatement. But now that we have our room I can relax a bit and soak it all in. In the meantime I plan on attending lots of blues festivals this summer and fall to get me pumped! Thanks again for all the great information. I appreciate it so much and now I won't have to go on "Mystery Diagnosis" to find out what I am suffering from ...LOL...
Paula

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:03 am

Sometimes I'll "split" shows, watch half of one and catch the last half of another. Unless you are really into time control, I doubt you are going to catch everything ! Sorry but LRBC doesn't guarantee that you will be able to see it all!! Then there is the UN scheduled stuff, the piano bar,Queens when not in use , these are usually late at nite 2am to-7am . Best time to lurk around the boat!! ya will be surprised at how many people are walkin' around the boat at 5 am!!!!!
Brad

Postby Geoff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Paula:

Welcome aboard! The blues cruise will amaze you! But there is so much going on that you simply won't be able to do and see everything. So Dave and Brad's advice is right on. It's helpful to remember to pace yourself, since it's tempting to just watch music from 11am straight thru 'til 7am the next morning, but you can't do it. The really cool thing is that however many hours a day you can devote to music, there will be great music waiting for you.

My wife, Judy, often takes a nap sometime during the evening, maybe from 11pm-2am, then gets up so she can check out the late night happenings in the pro jam and in the piano bar. Actually, a lot of times I've been hanging in the piano bar at 5am, and here comes Judy, up and ready for more action.

The basic concept is sleep when you can, enjoy as much as you are able, and relish the opportunity to see so much cool stuff in one short week.

Geoff
Geoff

Postby Deb & Dave » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Paula,
I had the same disease in January but I am cured!!!!
I would dash from one end of the ship to the other and drink a bottle of wine a night. :D
Oh yeah, plan to sleep after the cruise.
Deb & Dave

Postby dr. d » Sat May 01, 2010 2:47 pm

RESOLVED: YOU WILL MISS SOME VERY COOL STUFF! Because at that moment you will be enjoying some other really cool stuff!!

Each act usually has 3 shows or more, and after the first day or so players start sitting in with others so you will have plenty of opportunities to see everyone play, if you wish, and it's easy to see one act for a time, then go check out another, everything is pretty close.

And of course napping is key, the problem is deciding when. My favorite times are usually 7-10 am, 6-9pm, and depending on other factors maybe midnight to 3am. You'll be amazed at who shows up at odd hours to play, it's worth waiting up for!

Remember: You won't collect more water by running through the rain, so relax where you're at and soak it up.
dr. d

Postby Missionbeachbabe » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:57 am

All the advice above is excellent! My husband & I have been on about 6 Blues Cruises. The best advice we got was to ABSOLUTELY go to the jams after hours - my husband often doesn't come back to the room until 7am. As previous posts have mentioned, that can be tricky if you like to sleep. So, it's important to nap when you can, usually during the morning or dinner break. Remember that many musicians are night owls and they like to jam with musicians they don't usually get to jam with. The main jams are located in the Piano Bar and Crow's Nest.
Missionbeachbabe

Postby Tom & Shannon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Well, you just don't - not to worry!
Tom & Shannon

Postby Garlic Dave » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:57 pm

Thought all you virgins might like this! See you in two weeks!
Garlic Dave

Return to Virgin Questions