Dancing!

Dancing!

Postby jivebuck » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:13 am

This will be my virgin cruise on the Jan 2012 sailing and I'm a limey modern jive fan as well as into blues and will be traveling solo. So my question is, are there any ladies out there for the Jan 2012 who like to modern jive? AKA Ceroc aka LeRoc. What space is there for dancing?
I shall also be going onto Memphis for the IBC two days after we land. Is anyone else heading in that direction too?
After that I'm down to NO can anyone recommend accommodation in the French quarter.
Then for closing there's the Ft Lauderdale 23rd Riverwalk Blues fest in February.
Energy shots called for?
Jivebuck
jivebuck

Re: Dancing!

Postby whorl girl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Jivebuck!

I am arranging a get-together for anyone (male or female) taking this cruise alone. If you (and anybody else reading this thread) would like to attend, send me a 'private message' and I will put your name on the list.
Whorl Girl

The faster you drive, the harder it rains.
whorl girl

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Jivebuck:

That's a most fine journey you have outlined. There is always room for dancing, but I confess I have no idea what ceroc or modern jive dancing is all about. I suspect there will be at least a few cruisers attending the IBC, but I don't know any off-hand. It's a fine event. Be sure to visit the new world headquarters of the Blues Foundation while you're in Memphis. There are a lot of other cool things to do in Memphis, but my favorites are Mud Island where there is a map of the Mississippi River that's 1/2 mile (almost 1km) long, and is true to scale with running water. You can see the route that you will drive to get from Memphis to NO. Well, I hope that you are driving from Memphis to NO, then you can stop off in Clarksdale, and see the Crossroads and maybe go to the Ground Zero Club. If you stay in Clarksdale, consider the Shack Up Inn.

Hope to see you on the Cruise. If you're a cruise virgin, come to the Virgin Party on the 1st morning. My wife Judy and I host that party, and we will do our best to be sure that you get well and truly indoctrinated.

Cheers,
Geoff
Geoff

Postby 2bluescats » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:37 pm

To add to Geoff's......we can also highly recommend the BB King Museum in Irondale......not too far from Clarksdale. Also the Blues Museum in Clarksdale is terrific.
chris+bill
2bluescats

Postby kanangus_maximus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Swing Dancing as far as I can tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRUwOJdK ... re=related

In Ballroom dancing, Jive is a dance style in 4/4 time that originated in the United States from African-Americans in the early 1930s. It was originally presented to the public as 'Jive' in 1934 by Cab Calloway. It is a lively and uninhibited variation of the Jitterbug, a form of Swing dance. Glenn Miller introduced his own jive dance in 1938 with the song "Doin' the Jive" which never caught on.

Jive is one of the five International Latin dances. In competition it is danced at a speed of 176 beats per minute, although in some cases this is reduced to between 128 and 160 beats per minute.

Many of its basic patterns are similar to these of the East Coast Swing with the major difference of highly syncopated rhythm of the Triple Steps (Chasses), which use straight eighths in ECS and hard swing in Jive.
~"I never worry about being driven to drink; I just worry about being driven home.
W. C. Fields"
~

Band: "Paulie And The Walnuts"
kanangus_maximus

Postby blinker boy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:45 pm

wife and I dance alot whenever we are at live music venues. although it gets crowded at times you will figure out where and when you are able to dance
we are in cabin 7010 - give us a jingle or better yet when you see us dancing somewhere, introduce yourself and the wife just might give it a whirl with you
blinker boy

Return to Virgin Questions