Jan 2012 Virgins

Jan 2012 Virgins

Postby ladibirdblu » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Wow.... can't believe I am a virgin again.... very excited about the Jan 2012 cruise...

I do have a few questions:
1. Are there advantages to staying at the host hotel vs hotel with the precruise party?
2. Can you take video as well as photos of the artists?
3. There are multiple restaurants on the ship... are all restaurants inclusive?
4. Is there free WIFI on board?
5. How do you sign up for Pro/Am Jams?

Can't wait... :)
Louise & Jim
ladibirdblu

Re: Jan 2012 Virgins

Postby Geoff » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:27 pm

LadiBirdBlu:

Welcome aboard!

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. The 2 hotels are across the street from each other. It's a wide street, but totally navigable, probably even post-party.

2. Yes, Video is ok

3. No. The Nieuw Amsterdam is brand new, but if it's similar to the Eurodam (almost brand new) there will be 2 restaurants with an upcharge. Details should be on the HAL site, but usually the top-tier restaurant is The Pinnacle Grill, which costs $25 per person, and offers exquisite food and service. The other upcharge restaurant will be an Asian theme, and will be less $$/person, and will also be absolutely delightful. I'd be willing to have all my dinners in those 2 restaurants EXCEPT that it takes too much time away from the music (or from catching up on sleep). If you enjoy the late night music, time will be your most valuable commodity. Because of that, many many cruisers even skip the main dining room, opting instead to eat in the Lido Buffet, which is always good food, and is much faster.

4. No. Internet access is expensive and slow (it's via satellite). See HAL site for details. Seems like every year there is more widespread wireless access. Last week, we got excellent signal in our cabin, but I know that's not true for all cabins.

5. Scheduled Pro-Am Jams always have a Jam Leader who manages signups, flow, etc. There will also be lots of less structured jams throughout the week, both in the Crow's Nest (where the Pro-am Jams take place), and anywhere there is a piano. What do you play?

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, and check out earlier posts, as this category has collected a lot of useful info over the cruises..

Geoff
Geoff

Postby wcw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:47 am

There is wifi, but definitely not free. 100 minutes = $55, 250 minutes = $100. I have to run my business while on the cruise so I typically use 500 minutes. In January we hit two US ports (PR and St Croix). If you have Sprint and wireless service you will be able to connect there at no extra charge since they are on the Sprint network. I'm not sure how good the signal will be though. The boat connection is shower than dialup. Most rooms can get a very good to excellent signal. If your signal is worse, simply open the cabin door and the signal will jump up a couple of bars. Bring a rubber door stopper so you can keep the door open. They have strong self closers on the doors so you need something that will hold them open.
wcw

Postby ladibirdblu » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks for the info... this is also our first ever cruise, so any information is appreciated

Jim is very interested in participating in the Jams, he sings and plays guitar/harmonica/mandolin/mandola/bouzouki

We do have to fly from Canada so not sure what instrument he will be bringing, any suggestions?

Louise/Jim
ladibirdblu

Return to Virgin Questions