how to ship wine

how to ship wine

Postby advocarole » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi Folks,

I was wondering how one transports the wine to the ship? Can I ship it from Sonoma County to Cruise Line or hotel in San Diego?
Thanks for your information.

carole domeikis 10/23 virgin cruise
advocarole

Re: how to ship wine

Postby Geoff » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi Carole:

Welcome aboard!!

For getting wine to San Diego, you can either bring it with you as checked baggage or ship it to your hotel. In either case, of course, you'd want a wine shipping box, which most wine merchants keep on hand. We have checked a case of wine several times when flying from Northern CA to San Diego, and I kinda prefer that method, as the wine stays with us as we travel.

To get the wine on board, if it's in a shipping container, it's safe to let Holland America get it to your cabin. On the morning of embarkation there will be a baggage pickup in the blues cruise hotel (the Holiday Inn), so all you need to do is get the wine and your other bags down to the pickup room. Be sure to hand-carry precious stuff, cameras, computers, etc.

See you on board!!

Geoff
Geoff

Postby bigcountry » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Hey Geoff

Virgin cruiser here, looking for advice along the same line. Is there a limit on the number of bottles of wine a person can bring aboard? Bringing aboard 6-7 bottles but don't want any last minute surprises as I board the ship. I'll be buying the wine in San Diego as its taking me two flights to get there and don't want to push my luck with multiple baggage handlers. I was planning on carrying my wine on board the ship but after reading your post, you have had no problems in the past as long as its packed properly? Any one else out there had any experiences in this either way?

Thanks for the heads up about the baggage pick up room, I had no idea that was being offered at the hotel. Works out better for me, I'm planning on catching the Sunday gospel brunch at HOB then heading straight for the boat if that's the case!

See you at the Virgin Party (or perhaps at the hotel pre-party!)

Rob
bigcountry

Location: ...then he went to play, for a while in Thunder Bay...

Postby rebeccabennett » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:07 am

HI Big Country! Can you tell me where is the location for the Gospel Sunday Brunch you're going to attend and what time?
Rebecca Bennett
rebeccabennett

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 pm

BigCountry:

Are you from Montana? My wife (Judy) and I have usually taken one case (12 bottles) on board, but I know cruisers who have brought 2 cases with no problem. If you don't have a proper wine-shipping box, it probably is safer to carry it on board yourself. In a shipping box, we haven't had any problems. As for the Virgin Party--YES you will see me there--Judy and I will be hosting and emceeing that party. See you there!

Rebecca: I'm guessing HOB = House of Blues. Check out http://www.houseofblues.com/tickets/eventdetail.php?eventid=69871

Geoff
Geoff

Postby bigcountry » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:55 am

Rebecca

Geoff is correct...House of Blues has a gospel brunch Sunday starting at 11am, I am told music starts at noon and ends at 1. HOB is just over a mile from the hotel, so should be no problem getting to the ship on time. I've never been to HOB to catch this show, and everyone I know that has seen it highly recommends it.

Geoff

I'm from Thunder Bay (eh) Canada, the bigcountry moniker is an inside joke with my kids. I just picked it up and ran with it, although it is a big and beautiful part of the country I live in (although somewhat isolated).

Cheers!

Rob
bigcountry

Postby rebeccabennett » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks! Great that the location is not far! I think I will check it out also!
Rebecca Bennett
rebeccabennett

Postby PlaydaBluesDammit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:17 am

Just be aware as you pack carry on stuff that it must be able to fit through the security scanner. If not you will have to break it down until it does. A case of wine or champagne fits through nicely. We have even sent one through shrink wrapped to a small folding hand truck.

Pat
Pat Dilling
Jan 2006, Oct 2007, Oct 2008, Jan 2010, Oct 2011, Jan 2012, Jan 2014, Booked Jan 2015
PlaydaBluesDammit

Postby bigcountry » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Hey Rebecca

If you are going and thinking of purchasing your ticket(s) in advance, call the box office rather than doing it online. There is an $11 online surcharge compared to $0 when you call direct. The woman I spoke to at the box office was very helpful and you just pick up your ticket at will call the day of the show. I'm sitting at table E (centre). Hopefully see you there!

Play da Blues/Geoff

Thanks for the info...I'll play it by ear after I visit the liquor store and see what they have...it is not far from the hotel (Mixon Liquor and Deli). I'm sure they'll have some sort of packing solution for me!!
bigcountry

Postby rebeccabennett » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info Big Country! I'll give them a call!
Rebecca Bennett
rebeccabennett

Return to Virgin Questions