Please tell me all about it!

Please tell me all about it!

Postby Suzieq » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:39 am

Hi all! I'm new here... I am "HOPING" to get a spot on the Jan 2012 cruise..... and while I'm waiting, I'm wondering just how this cruise "rolls". I'm sure someone here can tell me all about it....

Are there formal nights?

Is there a dress code for dinner?

Are there assigned seating at dinner?

What time does the music start/end each day?

Are there jams?

Is it hard/easy to see the bands?

Is there a host hotel for before or after stay in Florida?

Is there a precruise get together?

THANKS in advance for any answers!!!
Suzieq
Lynn & Bob

Suzieq

Re: Please tell me all about it!

Postby Imelda » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:41 pm

The cruise is more than you can ever imagine. Really. It's a party of the Blues. 90% are there for the same reason. The other 10% hang by the pool.

So to answer your questions:

Are there formal nights? NO, but if you want to dress up in some sort of formal attire, you can and should. If you just want to dress up, there are "theme nights" for that.

Is there a dress code for dinner? NO dress code anywhere for anything. Well, I've never seen anyone not wearing clothes. I never, ever go barefoot, but shoes are a plus for some.

Are there assigned seating at dinner? Each cruise has been different, but there are no seat assignments or tables. There may be a time that is shown for arrival (early or late) but that's pretty loose, as well.

What time does the music start/end each day? At sea days, music starts around 10 am or so. At port days, it depends on when the boat sails. I usually tell people who ask that the music is about 20 hours each day.

Are there jams? Am, Pro, practice sessions, you name it, you can find it. Some are scheduled, some just happen. There is a venue set aside for the Am jammers where someone sort of runs it, sign ups for the musicians, everyone welcome. The last scheduled show of the night (which is really in the early morning around 1 am) is the Pro jam where one of the bands or musicians is scheduled and the other Pro musicians join in. It's pretty amazing to see and listen to it, warm wind from the moving boat, moon, stars, clouds. The smell of pizza until 4am....

Is it hard/easy to see the bands? Well, no, not really. Anyone is able and encouraged to be right up to, leaning, sitting on the stage. Depending on the venue, you can be 2 feet away from the musician of your choice. And even for the biggest star on stage where the show is crowded, you can easily go right up front to shoot photos, dance, listen, whatever. Seating is everywhere depending on the venue. The big shows scheduled in the small venues (Crow's Nest, for example) may be difficult to see if you arrive late, but you'll always be able to hear.

Is there a host hotel for before or after stay in Florida? There's a host hotel announced, maybe already. In Ft Lauderdale, Hilton or Sheraton, most likely.

Is there a precruise get together? Pre-cruise party is sponsored by the local Blues Society. It will be announced.

We decided not to go on the JAN'12 cruise. We've been on 7 so far and are cutting back to just one/year. Our choice is the OCT West Coast. The lineup for JAN'12 is great. You'll get a cabin, but the cheap ones go first.

Good luck and just ask if you need more info. If you are on Facebook, take a look at some of the cruiser pages w/photos. JAN Cruisers, OCT Cruisers, etc.

Imelda
Imelda

Postby katyblue » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Suzie you are on the right thread just keep reading. You will find all the answers to the questions you have now and are certain to come up with. Lots of info here that has been asked multiple times by Virgins=yes that is what you will be on your first voyage. :D :lol: 8-)
Virgin 2005
Jan 2006, 2008,2009,2010,2011,2013
Oct 2006, 2009, 2011
Oct 2012 On that X ship and was # 10 for me.
Booked Oct 2013

Dry docked in 2007 :-(
katyblue

Postby katyblue » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:07 pm

If you check out the Photo pages you can get ideas for door decorating and costumes for theme nights. Not all participate but if you like dressing up and Halloween you will have a ball on the cruise.
Virgin 2005
Jan 2006, 2008,2009,2010,2011,2013
Oct 2006, 2009, 2011
Oct 2012 On that X ship and was # 10 for me.
Booked Oct 2013

Dry docked in 2007 :-(
katyblue

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Hey Suzie:

Welcome to the bluescruise, or at least to the chat board! As Katy mentioned, there is a lot of information in other threads in the Virgin Questions section of the board. But please--ask away--this is the right place to ask, and find answers.

Geoff
Geoff

Postby Suzieq » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 am

Oh thank you all for welcoming me & all the helpful hints! I can tell this is the cruise for me!!
I sure hope we get a cabin!!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!
Lynn & Bob

Suzieq

Postby TexasBluezer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:23 am

We can lead you into temptation and deliver you to......
TexasBluezer

Postby Suzieq » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:55 pm

TexasBluezer wrote:We can lead you into temptation and deliver you to......

But you can't make me drink! Oh wait.... that would be the easy part!! LOL!! :lol:
Lynn & Bob

Suzieq

Return to Virgin Questions