Newbie questions on temps; costumes; cell phones; refrig's.

Re: Newbie questions on temps; costumes; cell phones; refrig

Postby Captain John » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:03 pm

What's the inside story on the scopolmine transderm patches?
Can you drink (I mean really drink:) on that?
If you don't use it at first and you get sick, will it help after?
Never been on a big boat so in a bit of a quandry about whether to slap it on Sat morning or take my chances with the herbal and pressure bracelet thing. Our room is on the 8th deck by the way.

Thanks for any info.
Captain John

Postby Geoff » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Capt:

Wife Judy gets seasick and has tried many things. Here are her comments. The Scopolamine patch works well for many people, but it spaces Judy out completely, so she doesn't use it. Instead, she deals with potential seasickness by taking a prophylactic (preventive--ahead of time) daily dose of meclazine, which is sold as Bonine. She takes her first dose about noon on day of embarkation and then 1/day every day. She also brings sea-bands for her wrists, but has never used them on the blues cruise, which is a testimony to the stability of the big ship. She drinks with vigor, and that's not a problem with Bonine, but don't know about Scopolamine. With either Bonine or Scopolamine, the sooner you get the drug in your system the more effective it will be.

The HAL ships are very very stable. The Eurodam, being almost brand-new has the most modern stabilizers available, and they really do work to make the ride less nauseating. You may discover that you don't have a problem at all, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Geoff
Geoff

Postby Captain John » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks Geoff. You've been a big help.

See you next Fri!!!!
Captain John

Postby TennesseeGuy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:58 pm

I may be a little late to the party; buy may I suggest to all who have motion sickness problems get some Bonine. It's over the counter and unlike any of the scopalomine based products, Bonine won't give you the chemical feel, and it works great.
TennesseeGuy

Postby PlaydaBluesDammit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:34 am

For minor queasiness we have found Ginger Root tablets work well. Find them near the vitamins at your pharmacy or grocery store. Ginger Ale works too. Some folks like candied ginger.

Pat
Pat Dilling
Jan 2006, Oct 2007, Oct 2008, Jan 2010, Oct 2011, Jan 2012, Jan 2014, Booked Jan 2015
PlaydaBluesDammit

Postby 2bluescats » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:12 am

We also like the ginger root capsules.
chris+bill
2bluescats

Postby Garlic Dave » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Lots of good stuff in this thread, especially for virgins.
David
Garlic Dave

Postby LeftCoastRoger » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:21 am

Well, there is another method you could try and I see a lot of people using it.
You could stay drunk enough so you don't know whether it is the ship or your drunkenness that causes you to be unable to walk in a straight line. If you tell your brain, you are just drunk, then my theory is you won't get seasick (but you'll get a hangover instead)!
I have never been seasick, maybe the theory works! Can anybody verify this theory?
Perpetual virgin since '96
LeftCoastRoger

Postby Deep Blues Diver » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:00 am

Newbie J Peacock
Addressing cel-phones when I was on St Johns, St Croix, and Puerto Rico or when we stop at St Thomas my cell-carrier will give me calls from any of the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico as if in the US... My Sister lived on St Thomas for ten years and ran businesses on all three US Virgin Islands, I called her up when we were on St Johns and she directed me on a walking tour of Island when we were there. She also directed me to some of her friends businesses. I spent a lot of time on the cel-phone, but my carrier does this for free... But check with your carrier their all different! and I had to check at a few places before I got a solid answer, most of their employees just don't know... It could get very costly if they charge....
As for LeftCoastRoger, I will attest to your theory, as you know, I do that every time I am on a cruise but I do it with Dogfish Head Beer it should work with any any other alcoholic beverage, (i.e. Vodka, Rum, Tequila) any will do.... But Roger I told you the last time I had seen you that I quit drinking beer, but after reading your reply I tend to think I might have to just start up once more!!! Hate to get sea-sick and for sure hate to see all that fine Dogfish Beer go to waist.....
So Newbie J Peacock you can take or not take our advice, but my money's on Roger.... Oh Roger, are you going or do I have to drink up all the beer by my self????
Newbie J Peacock, see you there and get ready for the adventure of your life!!!
Deep Blues Diver - Chris

youtube videos download siteNtw

<a href=http://descargar-youtube-downloader.kambasoft.com/ >descargar youtube downloader link</a>

<a href=http://youtube-videos-download.kambasoft.com/ >youtube videos download</a>
Last edited by Deep Blues Diver on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deep Blues Diver

Postby Triviameister » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:09 pm

LeftCoastRoger wrote:Well, there is another method you could try and I see a lot of people using it.
You could stay drunk enough so you don't know whether it is the ship or your drunkenness that causes you to be unable to walk in a straight line. If you tell your brain, you are just drunk, then my theory is you won't get seasick (but you'll get a hangover instead)!
I have never been seasick, maybe the theory works! Can anybody verify this theory?

Well, not sure if this verifies the theory or not - but I do remember several nights when the seas were rocking and I was unable to walk in a straight line. Was is the ship rocking or was it the beer, bourbon, etc.??? We may never know. But it was definitely fun and I have been good about avoiding a hangover on the cruise - don't want to be fighting a hangover when there is so much good music to listen to!!! I may have to try to test out the theory in January.
Triviameister

Previous

Return to Virgin Questions