Etiquette

Etiquette

Postby defrench » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:05 am

Hi All
Not only is this our first Blues Cruise but our first cruise ever. Is there a common practice or etiquette regarding seating? i.e. saving a chair by the pool, saving an aisle seat in the music hall, etc.
defrench

Re: Etiquette

Postby Triviameister » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi DeFrench! Welcome to the Blues Cruise Family and cruising in general. I hope to meet you on the ship in under two weeks!!! This will be my sixth Blues Cruise (which just so happens to be the total number of cruises I have done as well), so I can share my experiences on the Blues Cruise, but not other cruises. I would say the best advice I have ever heard regarding your question is to be respectful of other cruisers and do what seems right. For example, I have had seats at the piano bar and have held them with my stuff as I go to the restroom or to get a drink refill, but those are quick trips away. Personally, I would never attempt to "reserve" a seat at a venue for long periods of time, such as hold a seat at the piano bar while going to another stage to see a different performer. What I have found over the years is that people are so friendly and having so much fun on the ship that an issue rarely comes up. If you can't find a spot to your liking at one stage, you are likely to find a great spot at another venue. And all locations will have great music. I tend to be up standing a lot at the pool stage (two pool venues this trip!!!), so seating there has never been an issue for me. Have a great cruise and get ready for an experience better than you expected!! Erv
Triviameister

Postby katluvsblues » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:21 pm

And just to add to it - I know there are people who get up early and "reserve" a chaise - and many of them are in them all...day......long. While I don't do the sun very well (but I do the cruise very well), I have walked by chairs several times and stuff didn't get moved and there were no bodies to be found. I do not agree with holding something for long periods of time. However, on a more positive note, there seems to be alot of chaises' throughout this ship, they just may be away from the music.

Perhaps a sun worshipper can enlighten me and defrench on proper "chaise etiquette"!
katluvsblues

Postby sun~ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:36 pm

As a pool person, it works a little different on the blues cruise.

There are some folks who have zero interest in the music. They are there with partners who are fans. Those folks stay by the pool all day. They camp out. Others come and go. Some will stay good part of the day (like myself). Often the musicians and their families will go in the morning while they have free time. Not all of the loungers are used at any given time. You can also just relax and sit on the edge of the pool. If a lounger doesn't look used, but has a towel on it and no one is in the pool, there is a very good chance someone has just picked up and left. So don't worry about anyone getting upset if you move a wet towel. It is more relaxed than a regular cruise.
sun~

Return to Virgin Questions